Six dead in Italian nightclub stampede

A stampede at a rap concert in an overcrowded disco in central Italy has killed five young teenagers and a mother and left 59 injured. Video footage on state TV RaiNews24 showed scores of teenagers rushing out of a door and surging toward a low railing or wall near the exit of the Lanterna Azzurra … Continue reading “Six dead in Italian nightclub stampede”

A stampede at a rap concert in an overcrowded disco in central Italy has killed five young teenagers and a mother and left 59 injured.

Video footage on state TV RaiNews24 showed scores of teenagers rushing out of a door and surging toward a low railing or wall near the exit of the Lanterna Azzurra (Blue Lantern) in the town of Corinaldo, near Ancona on the Adriatic coast.

The barrier then appeared to give way, and a cascade of teenagers tumbled over it, falling on top of each other.

The bodies of the trampled victims were all found near a low wall, Ancona Firefighters commander Dino Poggiali told Sky TG24 News.

Popular rapper Sfera Ebbasta was set to perform at the venue.

Ancona chief prosecutor Monica Garulli told reporters 1400 tickets had been sold but the venue has a capacity of about 870.

Interior Minister Matteo Salvini said it was "probably true"there were more people inside than was permissible.

State radio said about 1000 people were inside the disco when the stampede occurred.

Carabinieri paramilitary police commander for Ancona province Colonel Cristian Carrozza said the dead teenagers – three girls and two boys – were aged 14 to 16 and the woman, who had accompanied her daughter to the venue, was 39.

Of those injured, 13 were in serious condition, he said.

The rush to exit the disco occurred shortly after 1am local time on Saturday.

The concert was scheduled to start at 1.30am, local news reports said.

Doctors at Ancona's main hospital said the most critically injured, all aged 14-20, had suffered cranial and chest trauma, while others suffered injury to limbs.

State radio said most of those who died suffered crushed skulls.

Italian news agency ANSA reported someone had sprayed an irritant which triggered the panic.

Interior Minister Salvini said there possibly was a "stink" of something that could have been ammonia or another substance.

Investigators were looking into similar accounts from survivors.

Salvini vowed that responsibility would be determined for the "six broken lives – whoever out of nastiness, stupidity or greed transformed an evening of partying into tragedy".

Italian President Sergio Mattarella demanded "full light be shone on what happened, ascertaining any responsibility and negligence".

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *