Man who sniffs dirty socks daily hospitalized with fungal infection in lungs, reports say

A man in China who reportedly sniffed his dirty socks each day learned the hard way that his habit is apparently a health danger. The man, identified only as Peng by the Daily Mail, reportedly developed a habit of sniffing his socks each day after work. But this unusual custom allegedly landed him in the hospital after … Continue reading “Man who sniffs dirty socks daily hospitalized with fungal infection in lungs, reports say”

A man in China who reportedly sniffed his dirty socks each day learned the hard way that his habit is apparently a health danger.

The man, identified only as Peng by the Daily Mail, reportedly developed a habit of sniffing his socks each day after work. But this unusual custom allegedly landed him in the hospital after the Zhangzhou resident complained of chest pains, tightness in his chest and a cough, Science Alert reported.

Initially, doctors at Zhangzhou's 909 Hospital suspected that Peng, 37, had pneumonia. But when his symptoms persisted, doctors re-questioned the man and he eventually admitted he was “addicted to smelling his socks that he had been wearing,” he said, according to the Daily Mail, which cited local Chinese media.

ST. LOUIS WOMAN, 18, SERENADED BY JASON MRAZ DIES WHILE WAITING FOR NEW LUNGS

Physicians would later discover the man had a serious fungal infection in his lungs, more formally known as pulmonary fungal disease. The infection was likely caused when the man inhaled the fungal spores found in the dirty socks, Science Alert reported.

Peng's condition may have been worsened by his “lack of rest,” one of the man’s doctors, Mai Zhuanying, reportedly told Fujian Daily, according to the Daily Mail.

"The infection could also be attributed to the patient's lack of rest at home as he had [been] looking after his child, leading to a weaker immune system," Zhuanying said.

Pulmonary fungal disease, or Aspergillosis, is an infection caused by a certain kind of mold.

"The illnesses resulting from aspergillosis usually affect the respiratory system, but their signs and severity vary greatly,” the Mayo Clinic explains online.

DAD CLAIMS FOOD POISONING LED TO RARE PARALYZING DISORDER

“The mold that triggers the illnesses, aspergillus, is everywhere — indoors and outdoors. Most strains of this mold are harmless, but a few can cause serious illnesses when people with weakened immune systems, underlying lung disease or asthma inhale their spores,” the Mayo Clinic continued, noting the infection can cause wheezing, shortness of breath, or cause the infected person to cough up blood, among other symptoms.

Luckily, Peng is expected to make a full recovery, the Daily Mail reported.

Madeline Farber is a Reporter for Fox News. You can follow her on Twitter @MaddieFarberUDK.

Llama rescued from heavy floodwaters in Maryland

A stranded llama was rescued from heavy floodwaters west of Baltimore, officials said Sunday.

The Howard County Department of Fire and Emergency Rescue Services tweeted Sunday afternoon: “After crews spent hours last night assisting car drivers out of the water, @HCDFRS assisted the owner of this llama with bringing him to safety after his pasture was flooded overnight by the Patuxent River in Mink Hollow #SpecialOps”

Authorities said the rescuers put a rope around the llama’s harness and walked it to dry land from the high waters.

“The whole pasture had filled up with water from the flooding overnight,” the department’s spokeswoman Denise Weist told The Baltimore Sun. “It was deep enough that there was no way it was going to cross.”

INSURANCE CLAIMS FROM CALIFORNIA FIRES HIT STAGGERING SUM

Fox 5 DC reported that the llama was returned to its owner.

Click for more from Fox 5 DC.

Frank Miles is a reporter and editor covering geopolitics, military, crime, technology and sports for FoxNews.com. His email is Frank.Miles@foxnews.com.

Cash spill on New Jersey highway leads to multiple crashes, chaos during morning commute

Thursday morning might mark the first time a New Jersey commuter preferred to be in a "cash lane."

The East Rutherford Police Department said an armored truck spilled cash along the westbound lanes of Route 3 at about 8:30 a.m. — right during the peak of the morning rush hour.

The incident took place near Metlife Stadium, right outside of New York City.

In videos posted to social media, motorists can be seen leaving their cars as they scramble to grab the cash from travel lanes.

"$5, 20, everything," someone could be heard saying in a video posted by Sabrina Quagliozzi. "Look at the accidents. Wow."

Police said "multiple" crashes were reported in the area due to people attempting to grab the cash. Travel also screeched to a halt as people got out of their cars.

VERMONT MAN PUTS UP GIANT MIDDLE FINGER AMID FEUD WITH TOWN OVER BUILDING PERMIT

Betsy Richards, a Montclair resident, was on a NJ Transit bus into New York City, and told NorthJersey.com she saw a man in a Brinks uniform was also running through traffic trying to collect the money.

"People were saying, 'he's definitely going to get fired,'" she told the news outlet. "It's Christmas for some and the loss of a job for another."

The incident remains under investigation, according to police. Anyone with information or videos of the incident is asked to contact authorities at 201-438-0165

Travis Fedschun is a reporter for FoxNews.com. Follow him on Twitter @travfed

Kim Jong Un ‘unification moisture nuclear masks’ taken off shelves after outcry, but demand is still high

Moisturizing masks packaged in bags bearing Kim Jong Un's likeness initially flew off store shelves in South Korea — but the skincare products were soon pulled in some stores amid widespread criticism.

The masks, called “unification moisture nuclear masks” or “nuke masks,” feature a package with a beauty mask superimposed on a photo of a waving Kim. The package, which sells for 4,000 won or about $3.55, also includes slogans such as, “Should we now go over the border with a whitened face?”

NORTH KOREA TELLS CHINA IT’S COMMITTED TO DENUCLEARIZATION

The products were launched by skincare company 5149 in June and some 25,000 units have been sold, Sky News reported. Kwak Hyeon-ju, the company’s chief executive, said she hoped the masks would be seen as a celebration of the “once-in-a-lifetime” meeting earlier this year between Kim and South Korean President Moon Jae-in.

Despite their popularity, the masks were pulled from some store shelves, including the chain Pierrot Shopping, after public criticism for portraying Kim in a light-hearted manner, The New York Times reported.

Video

NORTH KOREA’S ‘PEACE GIFT’ PUPPIES TO SOUTH KOREA PICTURED FOR FIRST TIME

“The fact that the worst dictator in the world — who violates human rights of its residents — is portrayed as someone who can be part of making world peace shows that South Korean society has lost the ability to filter through and control the situation,” Kang Dong-wan, a professor at Dong-A University, said, according to The New York Times.

South Korean law makes it illegal for citizens to depict the Hermit Kingdom favorably, but the law is not enforced often. So far, the South Korean government has not officially commented about the masks.

Kathleen Joyce is a breaking/trending news producer for FoxNews.com. You can follow her at @Kathleen_Joyce8 on Twitter.

Steph Curry says he was ‘joking’ when he questioned moon landing, will visit NASA

NBA star Steph Curry told ESPN Wednesday he was "joking" earlier this week when he said he did not think humans had ever landed on the moon — and he revealed he'd accept an invitation from NASA to visit lunar artifacts at the Johnson Space Center in Houston.

Curry kicked off the controversy earlier this week when he appeared on a podcast called "Winging It" with fellow NBA veterans Vince Carter and Kent Bazemore, as well as Curry's Golden State Warriors teammate Andre Iguodala. At one point in the free-flowing conversation, Curry asked the group: "We ever been to the moon?" After the others responded no, Curry said: "They're going to come get us, I don't think so either. Sorry, I don't want to start conspiracies."

"Obviously I was joking when I was talking on the podcast," Curry told ESPN, adding that his public silence was "protesting how stupid it was that people actually took that quote and made it law as, 'Oh my God, he's a fake-moon-landing truther,' whatever you want to call it."

The comments quickly went viral and sparked a furor on social media, with many criticizing the two-time NBA MVP for doubting the moon landing. Curry did not comment publicly about his statements until Wednesday, intensifying the focus on him. NASA spokesman Allard Beutel publicly invited Curry to visit the Johnson Space Center in Houston, "perhaps the next time the Warriors are in town to play the Rockets.

Video

"We have hundreds of pounds of moon rocks stored there, and the Apollo mission control," Beutel said. "During his visit, he can see firsthand what we did 50 years ago, as well as what we’re doing now to go back to the moon in the coming years, but this time to stay."

STEPH CURRY'S BIZARRE MOON LANDING COMMENTS SPARK FLOOD OF HILARIOUS TWITTER QUESTIONS 

Curry told ESPN he "definitely" would take Beutel and NASA up on their offer.

"I am going to educate myself firsthand on everything that NASA has done and shine a light on their tremendous work over the years," he said. "And hopefully people understand that education is power, informing yourself is power. For kids out there that hang on every word that we say, which is important, understand that you should not believe something just because somebody says it. You should do your homework and understand what you actually believe.

DOLPHINS STAR REVEALS MYSTERY CAYMAN ISLANDS STASH

"But I'm going to go to NASA and I'm going to enjoy the experience wholeheartedly."

However, Curry's trip to Mission Control may have to wait for a few months. Golden State isn't scheduled to visit Houston until March 13.

High-tech ‘Robot Boris’ at Russia technology forum actually a man inside suit

Russian state television praised a “hi-tech robot” at a technology forum that was actually a man inside a robot suit.

Russia-24, a state-owned television channel, applauded a man in a suit believing he was a real robot, saying that “Robot Boris has already learned to dance and he’s not that bad,” the Guardian reported.

One anchor said the view of the robot could inspire Russian youth in their career decisions.

“It’s entirely possible one of these [students] could dedicate himself to robotics,” the anchor said. “Especially as at the forum they have the opportunity to look at the most modern robots.”

The state media report showed the robot saying “I know mathematics well but I also want to learn to draw,” before he went on to dance.

But many immediately noticed that the so-called robot was missing important components for a robot to work, and made too many “unnecessary movements” while dancing.

Photos that emerged later showed the neckline of a person in a suit, revealing that the “robot” turned out to be a $3,800 “Alyosha the Robot” costume made by a company called Show Robots, according to the newspaper.

The robot suit is reportedly equipped with a microphone and tablet display, giving the “near total illusion that before you stands a real robot”.

Non-state Russian media jumped on the issue, with MBKh Media, media organization founded by Mikhail Khodorkovsky, a prominent critic of Russian President Vladimir Putin, publishing an image of an actor in a suit ahead of the technology event.

The organizers of a youth forum dedicated to robotic, the Proyektoria technology forum, said they didn’t try to claim the robot costume was a real robot.

Later, Russia-24 reportedly disappeared from the channel’s YouTube channel, but it was brought back live Wednesday.

Lukas Mikelionis is a reporter for FoxNews.com. Follow him on Twitter @LukasMikelionis.

Vermont man puts up giant middle finger amid feud with town over building permit

A Vermont man feuding with local officials over repeated denials for a building permit made his fury known in the form an illuminated 700-pound wooden middle finger.

Ted Pelkey, 54, a business owner, told Boston.com that the Development Review Board of Westford has repeatedly denied his request for a building permit to construct an 8,000 square-foot garage on his property.

“I’ve been put through the wringer by these people, and it’s just not right,” he said. “I’m not trying to cause hate and animosity to the people who live in that town, because there’s very good people in that town.”

Officials said the proposal doesn’t meet the town’s standards, but Pelkey thinks they’re biased against him.

“I was sitting at a bar and said to my wife, ‘Hey, I want to get a statue made of a middle finger, and I’m going to put it up on the lawn,'” he told Boston.com in an interview.

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT

Commissioning the structure – which was completed Nov. 30 and sits atop a 16-foot pole on his front lawn – costs $4,000, Pelkey said, adding he initially expected to be forced to take it down.

Billboards are banned in Vermont, but because the giant middle finger sculpture isn't being used as an advertising tool, it can stay, according to the Vermont Agency of Transportation.

“Although the structure is visible from a state highway, it is outside of the State Right of Way and not within our jurisdiction,” Jacqui DeMen, a spokeswoman for the agency, told Boston.com in an email. “The structure does not meet the statutory definition of ‘sign’ and thus can’t be regulated under the Vermont Billboard Law.”

Instead, the finger is considered public art.

Pelkey has tried to get approval to build the garage on his property for over a decade to possibly work out of instead of driving 25 miles each way to the repair shop he runs with his son.

“You can get out of bed in the morning, take your coffee, walk across the driveway, and go to work,” he said. “What would you want to do?”

Pelkey's most recent application was denied because it lacked information about building purpose and lighting.

He is appealing the decision.

Chocolate factory’s delicious mishap ‘repaves’ road in Germany

It's Augustus Gloop's dream come true.

A street in a western German town was transformed into something out of a Roald Dahl book, after a river of chocolate overflowed from a factory Monday and hardened into a delicious stretch of roadway.

The Willy Wonka-esque scene at the DreiMeister factory in Werl was blamed on "a small technical defect" involving a storage tank, according to German newspaper Soester Anzeiger.

A spokesperson for the Werl fire department told Reuters that about a ton of chocolate ran from the factory into a street and, after hitting the chilly pavement, the milk chocolate quickly hardened.

ELECTRIC SCOOTERS BEING DUMPED IN CALIFORNIA LAKE, AS POPULARITY EXPLODES

About 25 firefighters then got the job of cleaning up the mess, prying the coating off with shovels and then using hot water and torches to remove the remaining bits from cracks and holes. A specialist company was also brought in to help clean the road.

Spilt chocolate is cleared from a road in Werl, Germany December 10, 2018 in this picture obtained from social media. Picture taken December 10, 2018. (FEUERWEHR WERL/via REUTERS)

The owner of the company said if the spill had happened closer to Christmas, it would have "been a catastrophe."

“Despite this heartbreaking incident, it is unlikely that a chocolate-free Christmas is imminent in Werl,” the fire department told Reuters.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Travis Fedschun is a reporter for FoxNews.com. Follow him on Twitter @travfed

Texas woman who allegedly posed as ‘carnival mafia’ member among 3 charged in fair vendors’ killings

A Texas woman, who allegedly posed as a "carnival mafia" member, was among three charged in the murders of two Kansas fair vendors.

Kimberly Younger, 52, allegedly ordered the deaths of two Barton County Fair vendors on July 14 while posing as a carnival mafia member named Frank Zaitchik in text messages sent to 54-year-old Michael Fowler.

According to Arkansas Online, Fowler told detectives he was ordered to kill Alfred Carpenter, 78, and Pauline Carpenter, 79, as an initiation into the carnival mafia. He also was  ordered to clean the inside of the trailer where the alleged murders occured and then dispose of the bodies.

Fowler, along with Younger and 35-year-old Rusty Frasier, were charged in Kansas Friday with the killings of the elderly  couple, whose bodies were found in shallow graves in Arkansas just days after their disappearance.

When investigators told Fowler that the order didn't come from the carnival mafia, but from Younger herself, he told detectives he was "suckered" into the crime, according to reports.

Asked whether there was even such a thing as a carnival mafia, Van Buren police spokesman Jonathan Wear told the Associated Press in an email that was something the woman “definitely made up.”

Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt said Younger, Fowler and Frasier are in custody on $1 million bond.

Washington man responds to police department’s Facebook post, promises to turn himself in

A Washington state police department found out the hard way you can't always trust someone you meet online.

Especially if you're trying to put them behind bars.

The Richland Police Department told its story of being jilted in a Facebook post on Monday that was directed at 38-year-old Anthony Akers. Police said Akers had promised to turn himself in after being informed he was wanted for "failure to comply" — but the cops got stood up.

“Dear Anthony, is it us?” the post read. “Last Wednesday, we reached out to you as ‘wanted.’ You replied and even said you were going to turn yourself in. We waited, but you didn’t show.”

The police department asked Akers to call them and even offered to swing by his place. Akers reportedly has a history of “drug abuse and protection order violations," Q13FOX reported.

Akers responded, essentially telling the cops: "It's not you. It's me."

Akers said he “obviously” has “commitment issues” — but promised he would be at the police station the next day “not later than lunchtime.”

“Thank you in advance to your response if you are patiently giving me another chance with us, I know I don’t deserve it. P.S. you’re beautiful,” Akers wrote.

Later, he posted a picture of himself outside the police station.

Akers wrote: “Here for our date sweetheart."

Kathleen Joyce is a breaking/trending news producer for FoxNews.com. You can follow her at @Kathleen_Joyce8 on Twitter.