3 dead, 70K without power after southern states slammed by snowstorm

The snowstorm that pummeled southern states during the weekend has been blamed for at least three deaths in North Carolina and leaving nearly 70,000 in the dark, as residents prepare to face dangerous roads and plunging temperatures on Tuesday. North Carolina faced numerous car crashes, power outages and canceled flights, as more than 20 inches fell in western parts of … Continue reading “3 dead, 70K without power after southern states slammed by snowstorm”

The snowstorm that pummeled southern states during the weekend has been blamed for at least three deaths in North Carolina and leaving nearly 70,000 in the dark, as residents prepare to face dangerous roads and plunging temperatures on Tuesday.

North Carolina faced numerous car crashes, power outages and canceled flights, as more than 20 inches fell in western parts of the state. Nearly 70,000 were without power as of early Tuesday morning, including outages in North Carolina, Virginia, South Carolina and Tennessee, according to AccuWeather.com.

Due to the icy roads hazard, schools in Virginia and North Carolina remained closed for a second day, while Georgia announced a late start for state government workers.

"We need to stay vigilant. We're not out of the woods yet," North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper said Monday. "This storm dropped staggering amounts of snow, ice and rain across our state. A year's worth of snowfall or more fell in some places in little more than a day."

The Highway Patrol responded to more than 670 collisions and nearly 1,600 calls for services since the storm began.

Brett Anderson, AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist also warned of black ice on the roads.

"Melting that occurs during the day will lead to wet streets and sidewalks," Anderson said. "Where this water does not dry off or is not treated with ice-melting compounds, a thin sheet of ice, known as black ice, is likely to form," Anderson said.

In Charlotte, police shut down a street Monday after reports of ice falling from the Duke Energy Center. And an overturned truck full of pigs added to traffic delays in the western part of that state.

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Amy Lieu is a news editor and reporter for Fox News.

Winter storm slams South with heavy snow, power outages as over 1,000 flights canceled out of Charlotte

A storm system that's bringing heavy snow and freezing rain across a large section of the South is leaving thousands without power Sunday as wintry precipitation blasts the region.

Over 140,000 customers in North Carolina are without power as of 9 a.m. ET Sunday as snow and freezing precipitation continue to fall, according to North Carolina Emergency Management.

The majority of the power outages are in North Carolina, where the highest amounts of snowfall are expected to fall. The National Weather Service said that more than a foot of snow is possible from North Carolina into south-central Virginia.

"Travel will be severely affected across much of these areas, and some power outages are likely," the NWS said in its advisory.

A Duke Energy crew works to restore power in Raleigh, N.C,. as snow continues to fall Sunday morning, Dec. 9, 2018. (Travis Long/The News & Observer via AP)

North Carolina Emergency Management said that the threat of ice and freezing rain increased Sunday, especially along the Interstate 85 corridor. There is now a "high probability" of widespread power outages.

In the western part of North Carolina, officials told FOX Carolina that some areas had been 14 to 15 inches of snow, creating “treacherous" travel and leaving crews unable to get to some areas.

Governors and local officials in several states declared emergencies ahead of the storm crossing several Southern states and poised to hit particularly hard in portions of North Carolina and Virginia.

A motorist needed help after at least six inches of snow fell across parts of North Carolina on Sunday. (Durham County Sheriff’s Office)

North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper said Saturday that residents in some parts of the state should be ready for a lengthy fight with the storm.

"We're preparing for days of impact, not hours," Cooper said, urging caution. "This weekend isn't the time to head out to see the winter wonderland. Stay safe where you are. Getting out on dangerous roads could put your life at risk."

MIGRANT MAN DROWNS IN CALIFORNIA CANAL AFTER ILLEGALLY CROSSING US-MEXICO BORDER DURING STORM, OFFICIALS SAY

Charlotte Douglas International Airport, the sixth busiest airport in the country, said American Airlines would reduce its operations starting Saturday evening and scattered cancellations are expected through Monday morning.

The storm was expected to bring up to a foot of snow in parts of North Carolina and Virginia. (Durham County Sheriff’s Office)

Over 1,000 flights were canceled as of Sunday, according to flight-tracking website FlightAware.

"Travelers are encouraged to frequently check with their air carrier for any cancellations or delays before coming to the airport," the airport said.

Officials have warned residents to prepare emergency kits and staff off roads in impacted areas.

"Roads are slick and driving is not something you want to attempt this morning," the Durham County Sheriff's Office said. "Keep roads clear for plows and emergency vehicles."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Travis Fedschun is a reporter for FoxNews.com. Follow him on Twitter @travfed

Florida teen rescued after getting trapped in abandoned bank vault

Rescuers have freed a teenager who became trapped in an abandoned bank vault in Hollywood, Fla.

Hollywood Fire Rescue said two teens were walking around a vacated office building which housed a former Bank of America branch in the area of State Route 441 and Washington Street around 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.

“Got trapped in there somehow. Him and his buddy were playing,” Hollywood Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Pat Keller said. “Somehow they got entry into this abandoned building.”

One of the teens, a 17-year-old, decided to enter the bank’s vault, only to have the door close behind him.

The teen’s friend called 911 about two hours later, according to fire rescue.

“The vault is approximately 14 by 14 feet, and it’s about 2 feet thick concrete walls with a huge steel vault door,” said Keller, “which is about the same thickness.”

A tactical team worked with a vault specialist to free the teen. Officials told 7News that steel rebar prevented their saws from cutting through the concrete.

At some point, a Bank of America employee from the branch across the street gave rescuers the combination to the vault, allowing them to free the teen without having to cut through the steel door.

The teen was freed from the vault just before 5 p.m. Both teens were later seen entering a car with a parent.

It’s unclear if the teens will face any charges.

Click for more from WSVN.com.

Four administrators reassigned from Parkland school after massacre report

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – Four administrators at a Florida high school where 17 people were fatally shot are being reassigned following a report from the state commission investigating the shooting.

Broward County Public Schools released a statement Monday that three assistant principals and a security specialist at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School staff members were being reassigned to other administrative locations. It didn't say why they were being reassigned.

The decision was made after the latest meeting of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Public Safety Commission.

The school system says it's using material from the commission to improve school safety and student services.

Twenty-year-old Nikolas Cruz has pleaded not guilty in the Feb. 14 shooting rampage. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

Four administrators reassigned from Parkland school after massacre report

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – Four administrators at a Florida high school where 17 people were fatally shot are being reassigned following a report from the state commission investigating the shooting.

Broward County Public Schools released a statement Monday that three assistant principals and a security specialist at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School staff members were being reassigned to other administrative locations. It didn't say why they were being reassigned.

The decision was made after the latest meeting of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Public Safety Commission.

The school system says it's using material from the commission to improve school safety and student services.

Twenty-year-old Nikolas Cruz has pleaded not guilty in the Feb. 14 shooting rampage. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.